Thursday, January 27, 2011

God is Good

God is Good.

I have this friend. She quit attending her local Lutheran church years before after some personal difficulties. The experience of a divorce, children who were acting out publicly and some serious financial life adjustments, and she just plain quit being ‘active’ in her church. One day I just asked her, “what it was exactly that she did not like about ‘church’ anymore?”. I was surprised by her answer. She said that it isn’t really anything about God that keeps her away, but she just doesn’t want to be reminded by church members of her public shame. Public shame? Do we do that? Do we as members of Abiding Love do things to make people feel ‘shameful’? I don’t believe in a God that asks for ‘public shame’. I believe in a God that loves through everything that no one is ever — shamed. Shame is not part of God’s Dream. The Kingdom of God is good and beautiful and it is beginning right now.

We have a good and beautiful God that welcomes everyone, especially those for whom the world tries to shame. Come, experience God’s love and let your load be lightened. My friend still doesn’t go to church. But, she does call me and talk with me about ‘who’ this really good God that I have come to know is. For now, that is enough.

“In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

With abiding love,

Pastor Lynnae

No comments: