Thursday, March 6, 2008

Jesus Christ - Our Playing Coach

We have a ‘playing coach’ in Jesus Christ. I guess it’s no secret that I love basketball. Well, actually not so much any basketball, but NBA – OK really, I just love the Spurs!

It's getting down to play off time so I have been thinking about basketball a lot! I have learned a few things from being a Spurs fan. One thing that I learned is that those coaches who once played in the NBA themselves seem to make better coaches. They know the ropes (or at least the hoops!). They know the pressure and they certainly know the feeling of defeat. Coach Larry Brown is a ‘playing coach’. He can relate to his players. He can understand their fears, their egos and maybe even their fouls, because he experienced them himself when he played in the NBA!

Jesus came to walk on this earth and to experience life as we know it. He knew sorrow and joy, success and defeat. Forgive the comparison, but Jesus is really like a ‘playing coach’. Incarnational theology is the faith understanding that Jesus lives in and among each of us. I thank God that Jesus knows what I am going through. This season of Lent we have a chance to
get to know a ‘playing savior’. Take a time out – listen to the One who really knows.


Pastor Lynnae

No comments: